Workplace Giving Eligibility
Membership in MHANe is open to charities meeting specific tests of fiscal accountability, governance, and programmatic impact.
All applicants must be 501(c)(3) tax exempt.
In addition, all applicants must:
- Provide services in at least 15 states or at least one foreign country.
- Account for funds on an accrual basis in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Commission a full-scale audit by an independent certified public accountant; the audit must be prepared using generally accepted auditing standards (GAAS) or international equivalents
- File an accrual-basis Form 990 with the Internal Revenue Service (unless IRS rules do not require the organization to file), and
- Be governed by an active and responsible board whose members have no material conflict of interest and a majority of whom serve without compensation.
Or simply contact MHANe if it would be helpful to discuss eligibility or any other aspect of MHANe membership.